Bendigo leaders help out and skill up during lockdown

Almost 100 Bendigo leaders are enrolled in La Trobe’s free, online Leaders in Lockdown course, designed to support businesses and individuals facing the challenges of COVID-19.

Local managers in the fields of health, education, sport and local government have joined more than 10,000 leaders across the country to benefit from the course.

Corinne Leversha is one of three Bendigo Community Health Services staff to enrol in the course. The Allied Health and Physical Activity Programs acting team manager says she was motivated to develop her leadership skills and gain insight through looking at different perspectives.

“I’m learning a lot,” Corinne says. “I love the flexibility of the course as you can work through it at your own pace.  It’s such a fantastic opportunity offered by La Trobe. 

“I am hoping to apply the new knowledge gained into my role at BCHS and build on my strengths, reflections and actions.”

Leaders in Lockdown calls on the expertise of La Trobe academics and alumni to share their business acumen, including Glenn Dashwood.

Glenn is the Senior Manager Safety and Wellbeing at the Department of Transport and president of Bendigo South East Secondary College. He is volunteering his time to help others as a Master of Business Administration alumni.

“I’m taking part in online forums and drop-in sessions and ensuring participants are supported through their learning with current knowledge,” Glenn says.

“As an operational risk and efficiency specialist with experience leading programs across government, hospitality, manufacturing, construction, media, sport and leisure, my role is to use my experience and knowledge to guide the participants.”

Glenn says he is fortunate to have continued working throughout the pandemic, so saw the Leaders in Lockdown course as an opportunity to support the Bendigo community by assisting other leaders to develop their skills.

“The knowledge I have gained through studying and the experience I have over many years managing remote or complex teams has meant that I have been able to transition well into the ‘new normal’ during this time,” he says.

“It is challenging to be an effective leader, deliver outcomes and be supportive while working remotely, and in many situations having limited budget, debt or facing company shut-down.

“The program has been structured so that participants can develop skills in a flexible way, allowing leaders to work on themselves during a time when they may not be able to work in their business.”

Glenn completed his MBA at the Bendigo Campus in 2016.

“The degree has been highly influential in extending my skills in effectively managing complex state-wide teams, significant budgets, organisational change and transformation,” he says.

“The MBA program not only allowed for the consolidation of knowledge gained over years of management experience but provided me with the ability to interact with leaders from across multiple industries, building networks and gaining broader insight.”