Student engineers fast-track careers in Bendigo

Harrison Godfrey chose to study a Bachelor of Civil Engineering in Bendigo to remain in the community, but says the benefits of studying locally have exceeded expectations.

Harrison still has a year of study to go before finishing his course and already he’s working in the field, designing small subdivisions with Total Property Developments.

“I’m working on two-lot subdivisions, usually for someone in Castlemaine, Bendigo or Heathcote who’s subdividing their land, and I’ll design the sewer, drainage, and driveway. And in doing so I’m learning much more than what I’d just be learning at uni,” he says.

It’s the second engineering role Harrison has had since starting his course, which is not unusual for the Bendigo cohort. With growing local demand for engineers, around 75 per cent of Harrison’s classmates are also already working in engineering roles.

“Staying in Bendigo has been so rewarding,” he says. “Due to the population, the kind of impact you can have here is increased dramatically.”

Harrison decided to pursue Engineering during VCE, although he took a couple of years off between finishing high school at Bendigo Senior Secondary College and enrolling at La Trobe.

“I started doing physics in year 11 and found out I was actually pretty good at it,” he says. “Engineering fits math minded people who are also practical, and that’s me to a tee.”

For Harrison, remaining in Bendigo and being active in his sporting clubs, church and community activities was important.

This year he also took part in the Loddon Mallee Community Leadership Program.

“The hope for my community project is to bring Lentil-As-Anything, a pay-as-you-feel restaurant, to Bendigo,” he says. “During the course we did some business subjects and I’ve always enjoyed that sort of thing. I think it’s all involved in that engineering goal.”

For the immediate future Harrison says he’s happy working in subdivision design, which is also helping cement his course work.

“I can apply what I’m learning straight away, instead of it being a concept on the computer,” he says.