Bendigo employers lap up local alumni

A 2020 study into where La Trobe University alumni are employed locally has revealed Bendigo businesses and institutions are making great use of the city’s graduates.

The study has shown Bendigo Health, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, the City of Greater Bendigo Council and Kangan Institute of TAFE to be among the top employers.

Ninety-seven of the 2000 alumni surveyed were working at the Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, including Bree Isaacs, who graduated from a Bachelor of Business/Accounting in 2019.

Bree had worked at the bank for ten years before returning to study when the youngest of her two sons had turned one.

“I was working and seeing all these people with their degrees, their masters, their professional development, so after my youngest son was born I thought, what do I want in my life? What do I want to do for me?”

Her answer was to re-start the degree she began after secondary college in the hope it would lead to further opportunities within the bank, which it did.

After starting out in customer account services, then financial reporting, Bree was working part-time in the group assurance department while she studied part time. For her Work Integrated Learning subject she volunteered her time in the bank’s accounting team.

“Then a role came up in the Rural Bank accounting team and they offered me a position,” Bree says, adding she’d discovered a passion for agribusiness through her course.

Bree later advocated for the Rural Bank to present to the university’s Agribusiness students.

“I organise a day where I get Rural Bank staff, from marketing, HR, finance, relationship managers and credit, to talk to the students and promote what we do, which includes offering a scholarship program targeted at La Trobe students.”

Bree is aware that many alumni go on to work at Bendigo and Adelaide Bank.

“All my past and current managers, they’re all La Trobe alumni,” she says. “I’m sure if you asked most further educated staff in the group, probably one in three studied at La Trobe.

“It’s really good that you can study in your own town and then work here. We’ve got all the opportunities here in Bendigo.”

The study found 10,900 La Trobe University alumni living within a 30km radius of Bendigo and working predominantly in education, state and local government, essential services, finance, nursing and allied health.