La Trobe’s Aspire Program rewards with lower ATAR requirements, early offers and more – apply now!

Bachelor of Business (Accounting) student Gemma Ritchie is encouraging community-minded Year 12s to apply for next year’s Aspire Program, as she did in 2020.

Aspire rewards students with early conditional offers to study, reduced ATAR requirements, and other perks when they arrive at uni.

“It recognises the amazing work many young people do through volunteering and leadership roles in order to give back to the community in many different ways and is an easy application process with great benefits,” Gemma says.

The Catherine McAuley alumna qualified through volunteering with Girl Guides Victoria as a junior leader, which meant she was accepted to study at La Trobe before she’d even completed her Year 12 exams.

“This took away a lot of the pressure surrounding exams and made me feel secure in my plans after completing school,” Gemma says.

“As an Aspire student I have been able to receive the ongoing benefits of meeting other likeminded students, being granted the opportunity to become further involved in the La Trobe community through the Student Ambassador program and receiving a regional benefits scholarship to provide support through my time at La Trobe University.”

For Gemma, remaining in Bendigo to study was really important.

“Studying locally allows me to continue working at my part time job so I am able to balance work and study while limiting the expenses I would have faced moving to Melbourne,” she says.

“The community feeling of studying in Bendigo has made the transition from school to university very easy and provided me with opportunities I would not have received otherwise.” Plus, she gets to pursue her dream career.

“I was motivated to pursue Accounting after taking the class in school and loving the numbers and problem-solving aspects. I discovered I was interested in business and wanted to study and have a career in an area I genuinely enjoyed.  

“My plans for the future are to complete my degree, undertake an internship and continue further postgraduate education while working to become a Charted Accountant, or possibly go into Forensic Accounting.”

Applications for the Aspire Program close on September 1, 2021. Find out if you’re eligible.