Bursary for Eaglehawk residents supports Health Sciences student to reach her goals

Bachelor of Health Sciences student Emily Keogh became one of 65 bursary recipients this month to share in $115,000 thanks to generous donors in the community.

The first-year student realised a long-held goal of starting uni this year when the youngest of her three children started prep.

Apart from the challenges of studying from home while home schooling her kids during lockdown, Emily says she was in dire need of new study resources.

She attended a drop-in info session for scholarships, and found she qualified to apply for some, including the Davey Family Bursary, which prioritises students from Eaglehawk, where Emily lives.

“I was pretty excited to be honest,” she says on learning she was successful. “I’d decided I wasn’t going to do another semester without textbooks because I wanted to give myself the best shot of doing well in the course.

“For the first semester I’d been accessing the texts through the library online, but I’d much prefer to have the actual books than read them on a screen.

“I’ll be pretty happy to get a new laptop too, particularly as everything is currently on Zoom and the camera and audio on my old laptop is inferior.”

Emily was rewarded for her high marks and her dedication to the community, particularly the volunteer work she does at her children’s school.

Before becoming a mum, Emily worked as a service area manager at Coles.

She hopes to use her Health Science degree as a pathway into Occupational Therapy.

“It will mean a lot for our family, given I haven’t previously been working,” she says of her career prospects after uni.

“Financially it will make a big difference, and for me it’ll be exciting to do something for myself that I’m passionate about, rather than just working for money. It’ll change a lot of things.”

Former staff maintain ties through family bursary

The Davey Family Bursary was established in 2005 by Brian Davey, on his retirement after 42-plus years as Business Manager of the Bendigo Campus. Brian’s brother, Emeritus Prof Ian Davey, matched the contribution and the family continues to financially support students from the Eaglehawk area to maintain their studies.  

Brian is also a founding member of the Bendigo Tertiary Education Anniversary Foundation, which organises many of the annual awards and prizes. Since the BTEAF was established in 1998, many former staff, alumni, community members and businesses owners have established awards for Bendigo students.

Others include the Bendigo Student Association, Bendigo Chapter La Trobe Alumni, Prof Les Kilmartin; Dr Ian MacBean, Dr Bill & Mrs Carol Holsworth, Mr Richard & Mrs Claire Guy, Mrs Helen Bruinier [dec] Mrs Fran Sheean [dec] & Mr John McLean[dec] together with a significant number of anonymous donors.

Memorial awards include those named for former students, staff and board members dating back to 1884, notably Mr Roger Jalland, Miss Kylie Morrow, Miss Flo Robinson, Miss Lorna Cohn, Mr Alec McLelland, Mr R Robert Clark, Dr Oliver Penfold, Mr Mark Harrington, Miss Di Francis and Dr Freda Briggs.

The Bendigo Tertiary Education Anniversary Foundation has provided bursaries, prizes and academic awards valued at more than $500,000 for Bendigo students during the past 20 years.

The Anniversary Foundation also funds research projects, equipment and infrastructure for the Bendigo campus.

We thank those who continue to grow our ability to assist local students and welcome your support too. To donate email BTEAF chair Dr Penny Davies AM on pk.davies@latrobe.edu.au