La Trobe Rural Health School Nursing students receive industry award for outstanding achievements

La Trobe Rural Health School Bachelor of Nursing students from every regional campus feature in the 2021 Australian Nursing Midwifery Federation student awards.

In Bendigo, we recognise the remarkable work of student Claire Mangan. Claire says her award is further motivation to give her all to her new profession.

“My La Trobe Bachelor of Nursing degree has set me up to be able to make an impact within the nursing profession, and this award acknowledges how far I have come with my nursing knowledge and leadership skills accumulated over my degree,” she says. “I’m now keen to get my nursing career underway.

The annual awards reward students across Victorian universities for their academic results, as well as personal attributes such as diligence, leadership, and communication skills.

Claire has an interest in critical care and mental health nursing and is passionate about increasing the profile of nurses within the healthcare industry.

“I would like to see more nurses in leadership and policy making positions in the future so that our true potential as nurses is recognised and celebrated,” she says.

“This award celebrates what can be achieved with hard work and putting your hand up for leadership opportunities and I would love to encourage all new nurses to seek out opportunities to take a seat at the decision-making table and become a voice of influence.”

Claire says there have been many positive influencers in her life these past few years. “I must thank the wonderful Maureen Dillon, who gave me the confidence to start this degree in the first place,” she says. 

“The entire nursing school teaching staff at Bendigo have been a dynamic powerhouse, adapting to moving an entire course to online learning in a matter of weeks – special mention to Sarah Beasleigh for keeping the home learning experience real and maintaining focus while children asked for snacks and entertainment in the background!”

At the award ceremony, ANMF Branch Secretary Lisa Fitzpatrick noted the difficult circumstances the cohort of students faced, with disruptions to their personal and academic lives over the last two years.

Congratulations to Claire, and to fellow award-winners Elly Mae Witte, of Albury Wodonga, James Heberte, of Mildura and Bionda Pettigrew, of Shepparton.